13 October 2011

A Yorkshire Word

Lord knows if this is unique to Yorkshire:
Dundercowpt.[1] Apparently it means thunderstruck, an onomatopoeidic word in its own right. Can’t say I can pronounce it. But it could have an even better effect than gobsmacked under the right circumstances.

While I’m at it, I keep running across clarty. I run across it because I stay up very late reading different Brit crime writers. Not that I’m racist, I read all the newer Scandinavian crime writers too, and their Brit translators sneak that clarty word in when you never expected it. Help me out here, someone.

P.S. The cure for all diseases is death. Sir Thomas Browne said that in Religio Medici as quoted by Hill. You know ... setting the tone for his mystery. I don’t think this counts as a spoiler alert.

[1] Reginald Hill, A Cure For All Diseases (Toronto: Doubleday Canada, 2008), 323.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Passionate Genealogist, for clarty: Scottish & northern English dialect, dirty, filthy, especially smeared with mud. Does make one wonder just what I've been reading.

    ReplyDelete